Welcome to this weeks oily spotlight!
The oil of focus
This will only be a quick post, we are going to get straight to the good stuff today!
Lemon is an amazing oil, it brings an uplifting and refreshing feel wherever it goes. This doesn’t just apply for the oil but also the fruit itself!
Want to add some zest to your life? Add lemon!
Given its amazing properties, this oil is up there with Lavender as an essential for your oil collection!
There are so many ways you can use Lemon in your life, I use it daily myself. The uses of this magnificent oil include (But certainly are not limited to!)
- Mood lifting – Use it to bring an uplifting and energising boost to your mood
- Cleaning – I loveeeeeee using my oils for cleaning, it is probably the main way I use it. And Lemon is my all time favourite to use! It is great at cutting down grease and stains.
You can also use it as a wood polish, de-greaser (for those pesky ovens!) and anti-fungal mould fighter!
Essential Oil DIY Recipes
- Boosting digestion and metabolism – The benefits of lemons have well been studied, it is pretty common for lemon slices to be added to water for a refreshing and it is believed to assist with weight loss.
Much like Grapefruit, Lemon contains d-limonene, known for cleansing your lymphatic glands!
While I don’t encourage ingestion of essential oils, I still highly recommend getting the internal benefits by adding lemon to your water regularly!
- Strengthen nails and hair – Use it in your shampoo or create a DIY cuticle/nail blend and use it to strengthen your nails and hair. Lemon can assist with dandruff issues as well!
- Skin cleanser – Add a few drops of Lemon to your face cream and it will help rid your skin of excess oils, dead skin cells and bring a nice refreshing feel to your face!
- Increase productivity – Due to the mood lifting benefits of this oil, it is also well known for increasing motivation and productivity. Mix some up with a carrier oil and apply it before starting your day – you won’t regret it!
Lemon is a photosensitive oil
Since Lemon falls in the citrus family, it is a Photosensitive Essential oil.
But what does this mean?
Put simply – it means that if you are to apply this oil topically (To your skin) it is very important to not let that area of skin be exposed to sunlight for at least 12 hours.
When photosensitive oils come in contact with the UV in sunlight, they risk causing a reaction which can lead to burns, rashes, itching and/or skin discolouration.
So while Lemon is an amazing oil, it is important to be wary of this fact before applying it to your skin!
Where to buy?
You can get Lemon from most stores that sell Lemon essential oils.
I also stock it in my store, so head over and have a look!
If you are new to essential oils, I highly recommend the introductory kit. This contains the most popular 3 essential oils – Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint! And at such a low cost you will be in the perfect position to give oils a go!