Self care, by definition, is the practice of taking action to preserve or improve your own health.
It is seen as a deliberate act to improve your mental and physical health, however in a lot of situations it becomes ingrained in our lifestyles – such as brushing our teeth or having a shower.
Self-care is incredibly important, in fact it is vital for survival beyond the repetition of your life.
Here are some quick benefits of self care:
- Increased physical fitness
- Decreased anxiety and depression
- Healthier relationships with yourself and those around you
- A more fulfilling life
- Less chance of holding onto any regrets
- Feeling well rested during your day
- Increased energy
- A better chance to take advantage of your creative thoughts and ideas
How good do these sound?
I don’t know about you, but think they sound amazing!
On top of these, it will make you a better parent, partner and friend.
How? Well you will be a lot less stressed you will be able to give all of your self to the people you love, without compromising your own well being (Which I know a lot of us mums are guilty of doing!)
“But I’m too busy”
Nope! You aren’t.
Self care doesn’t have to mean taking a 2 week vacation in Fiji (although, that would be nice).
Self care can be as simple as brushing your teeth or taking 5 minutes to enjoy an undisturbed cup of tea.
As our lives get busier we tend to lose track of time, and when we do have time we seem to be picking up our smart phones or switching on Netflix instead of doing what we really should be doing to improve our well being.
This is where I come in!
5 minutes a day, that is all you need
Now, I can bet you are thinking one of two things.
“Where on earth am I going to find 5 minutes!?”
“As if 5 minutes can help me feel better”
Let’s smash these two comments right here and now!
It may not seem like you have 5 minutes, but you do! Think of all of the time that you spend scrolling Facebook, browsing Amazon or picking up the kids toys.
All of this can wait!
Sure, you might feel like screen time is relaxing, but it isn’t if you are doing it out of habit.
5 minutes.. it seems so minuscule.
It seems like something that couldn’t possibly benefit you in any way, but I promise it can.
Let me put it to you this way… When you’ve had a long, stressful day, how does it feel to have a nice hot shower? How refreshed do you feel afterwards? Pretty good, right!?
That shower you took, that’s self care.
You may not have realised it at the time but you were doing your mind and body a favour and giving it a chance to make the most of the rest of the day.
Well imagine having that feeling every.single.day.
Just 5 minutes to get yourself together, show yourself some love and build a healthier you.
And now for the best part…
20 ways to practice self care in under 5 minutes!
- Practice mindfulness for 5 minutes – slow down and be present. Listen to the sounds you can hear, take in the smells. Enjoy the moment.
- Spend 5 minutes stretching. There is no better feeling than getting that oxygen flowing.
- Go sit outside and enjoy some sun
- Put on your favourite song and get moving
- Enjoy a warm cup of tea (or coffee) in silence
- Take a warm shower
- Ignore the laundry and spend 5 minutes playing with your little one(s)
- Say no. If someone has asked you to do something that isn’t urgent, tell them it can wait.
- Take some deep breaths
- Have a mini de-clutter. Clutter is awful for our minds. It is overstimulating and stressful. Even though this may feel like cleaning, I can promise it will make you feel way better.
- Unplug from social media. Don’t even think about Facebook while you are away from it.
- Paint your nails
- Wear something you love! Throw on some track pants and let yourself relax, or if you are like me and live in your trackies then put on something nice and step away from your daily grind.
- Have a mini workout session. I knowwww, “exercise, how is that helpful!?”. It is, even if it doesn’t feel that way. You will feel more refreshed, energised and positive after a quick walk around the block!
- Call someone you love and who is a positive influence on your life
- Organise that space that you’ve been meaning to do but have been putting off for forever
- Do a quick yoga session – I loveee Yoga with Adriene. She is my go-to for all of my yoga sessions, and she has some amazing quick sessions.
- Designate a corner of your home for yourself and decorate it however you want. Use this space for future self-care sessions!
- Make a smoothie – smoothies are great. They are refreshing, energising and taste deliciousssss.
- Light a candle or diffuse some energising essential oils.
And there you have it! 20 of the easiest ways to get a little self-care in your day without breaking a sweat.
I really hope that you take the time to take care of yourself today, and tomorrow, and every other day!
Always remember, not only is it important to take care of yourself… you are worth it!!